Thursday 17 May 2012

Into the Night

This is my favourite of all the songs I've have written, but to be honest the lyrics aren't much without the melody. At the time of writing this song I was listening to many war standards such as 'Yours' 'Lili Marlene' and 'A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square'. I remember thinking that these were some of the best love songs which I have heard. I've always been fascinated with romance in the war time, there seemed to be a mixture or  longing, waiting around and sometimes hastiness. People could meet and 2 weeks later be married knowing that their husband will be fighting in a few days. However many of the song's spoke about a love that would last a lifetime, which made me realise you don't see that as much in the charts anymore (I bet someone proves me wrong).
Of course when writing songs we always have someone in mind, as I did, though it was the setting of the song which truly created it. As I was writing I imagined a couple waltzing in some old fashioned London park in the middle of the night under the stars and moon (after which I realised the majority of the parks are locked after a certain time). In some ways this is the love which I hope we will find. I've always been a bit old fashioned and I guess this song proves it. My favourite lyrics in the song are "To me you’ll always be mine and I’ll be the same to you" I believe that one line truly sums up the whole song.
A final source of inspiration was a painting by John Bull, I can't find the title of it but a reprint sits in my room opposite my bed. I know it simply as John Bull 1950. The image shows a couple leaning in for a kiss under the stars, it is marvellous.

Verse 1

Underneath the lamplight
Or there beneath the moonlight
It don’t matter which light,
My love will be sure to find you

Verse 2
Way beneath the starlight
It can even reach the far light
No there’s nothing it can’t find,
That won’t bring myself to you.

Build 
I’ll always be your lamplight,
As long as you kiss me right
Then the rest we can leave for the night
 
Chorus
Sailing,
Sailing into the night with you
 
Verse 3
Head towards the sky out,
With you it feels like I could fly out,
Caress my face and try out
The things we plan to do
 
Build
It won’t matter which life,
As long as you hold me tight,
Then the rest we can leave for the night,
Let’s see what we can do
 
Chorus
Sailing,
Sailing into the night with you
 
Mid 8
Longer than this lifetime, like an old warn out rhyme
To me you’ll always be mine and I’ll be the same to you
 
Chorus
Sailing,
Sailing into the night
Sailing,
Sailing into the night with you

Karl Smitherman © 2011 published 2012

2 comments: